REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the hoses at the pump and plug and openings shut to prevent contamination. Position the disconnected lines in a raised attitude to prevent leakage.
- Loosen the power steering pump drive belt adjuster and the drive belt.
- Loosen the retaining bolts, then remove the braces and the pump from the vehicle.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Adjust the belt tension and bleed the power steering system. Refer to Routine Maintenance for belt routing.
- Remove the air cleaner duct and air cleaner.
- Loosen the idler pulley locknut and turn the adjusting nut counterclockwise, in order to remove the power steering belt. Refer to Routine Maintenance for belt routing.
- Remove the drive belt on the air conditioning compressor, if so equipped.
- Loosen the power steering hoses at the pump and remove the bolts holding the power steering pump to the bracket.
- Disconnect and plug the power steering hoses and remove the pump from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Fill and bleed the power steering system.
- Loosen the tension adjustment and mounting bolts.
- Move the pump toward or away from the engine so the belt deflects 1 / 4 - 1 / 2 in. (6-13mm) midway between the idler pulley and the pump pulley under moderate thumb pressure.
- Tighten the bolts and recheck the tension adjustment.
BLEEDING THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM
- Fill the pump reservoir and allow to remain undisturbed for a few minutes.
- Raise the car until the front wheels are clear of the ground.
- With the engine off, quickly turn the wheels right and left several times, lightly contacting the stops.
- Add fluid if necessary.
- Start the engine and let it idle until it reaches operating temperatures.
- Repeat Steps 3 and 4 with the engine idling.
Do not allow the steering linkage to contact the stops for any longer than 15 seconds, with the engine running.
- Stop the engine, lower the car until the wheels just touch the ground. Start the engine, allow it to idle and turn the wheels back and forth several times. Check the fluid level and refill if necessary.