REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
On Stanza wagon, remove air cleaner, airflow meter and disconnect the front exhaust pipe. On 4WD vehicles remove driveshaft (matchmark for correct installation), support rod, transfer control actuator, all electrical connections and transfer gussets as necessary.
- Remove the left front wheel assembly and the left front fender protector. Drain the transaxle fluid.
- Remove the caliper assembly. Remove the cotter pin and hub nut.
- Remove the tie rod ball joint. Separate the axle shaft from the knuckle by slightly tapping it with a suitable tool.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable, the throttle wire from the throttle lever.
- Remove the control cable from the rear of the transaxle, then the oil level gauge tube.
- Place a floor jack under the transaxle. Properly support under the engine.
- Disconnect and plug the oil cooler hoses from the lines. Remove the torque converter to drive plate bolts.
When removing the torque converter to drive plate bolts, turn the crankshaft for access to the bolts and place alignment marks on the converter to drive plate for alignment purposes.
- Remove the engine mount securing bolts and the starter motor.
- Remove the transaxle (note location of bolts as some are different sizes) to engine bolts, pull the transaxle away from the engine and lower it from the vehicle.
- Before installing the transaxle check the drive plate for run-out, the maximum allowable run-out is 0.020 in. (0.5mm). Measure the distance between the torque converter and the transaxle housing, on RL3F01A type transaxle (early models) it should be more than 0.831 in. or (22mm). On the RL4F02A type transaxle (later models) it should be 0.75 in. or (19mm). This measurement is for correct torque converter installation.
- Install the transaxle assembly in vehicle.
- On RL3F01A transaxle, torque the converter to drive plate bolts to 36-51 ft. lbs. and converter housing to engine 12-16 ft. lbs. On the RL4F02A type transaxle, torque the converter to drive plate bolts to 29-36 ft. lbs. and converter housing to engine bolts to 29-36 ft. lbs. except 25mm bolts torque to 22-30 ft. lbs.
- Install the starter motor and all electrical connections.
- Install the control cable to the rear of the transaxle, then the oil level gauge tube.
- Install the axle shaft with new circlip. Install the tie rod ball joint with new cotter pin.
- Install the hub nut and torque to (145-203 ft. lbs. RL3F01A transaxle) (174-231 ft. lbs. RL4F02A transaxle). Install the brake caliper assembly , bleed brakes if necessary.
- Reconnect the speedometer cable and throttle wire to the throttle lever.
- Install all securing bolts and brackets. On Stanza wagon, install air cleaner and airflow meter and connect the front exhaust pipe also.
- On 4WD vehicles install driveshaft, support rod, transfer control actuator, all electrical connections and transfer gussets as necessary.
- Install the left front wheel assembly and the left front fender protector. Refill the transaxle fluid.
- Lower the vehicle. Reconnect the negative battery cable and road test for proper operation.