REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
200SX And 240SX
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the battery cable.
- Remove the accelerator linkage.
- Detach the shift linkage.
- Disconnect the neutral safety switch and downshift solenoid wiring.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the drain plug and drain the torque converter. If there is no converter drain plug, drain the transmission. If there is no transmission drain plug, remove the pan to drain. Replace the pan to keep out dirt.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe.
- Remove the vacuum tube and speedometer cable.
- Disconnect the fluid cooler tubes. Plug the tube ends to prevent leakage.
- Remove the driveshaft and remove the starter.
- Support the transmission with a jack under the oil pan. Support the engine also.
- Remove the rear crossmember.
- Mark the relationship between the torque converter and the driveplate. Remove the bolts holding the torque converter to the driveplate (rotate engine if necessary). Unbolt the transmission from the engine and remove it.
The transmission bolts are different lengths. Tag each bolt according to location to ensure proper installation. This is particularly important on the 240SX.
- Check the driveplate run-out with a dial indicator. Run-out must be no more than 0.020 in. refer to the illustrations.
- If the torque converter was removed from the engine for any reason, after it is installed, the distance from the face of the converter to the edge of the converter housing must be checked prior to installing the transmission. This is done to ensure proper installation of the torque converter. On 200SX, the dimension should be 1.38 in. (35mm) or more. On 240SX, the dimension should be 1.02 in. (26mm) or more. Refer to the illustrations.
- Raise the transmission and bolt the driveplate to the converter and transmission to the engine. Torque the driveplate-to-torque converter and converter housing-to-engine bolts to 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm) on all except 240SX. On this vehicle, torque the transmission mounting bolts as follows: On 240SX, tighten bolts (1) and (2) to 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm); tighten bolt (3) to 22-29 ft. lbs. (29-39 Nm); tighten the gusset-to-engine bolts to 22-29 ft. lbs. (29-39 Nm).
After the converter is installed, rotate the crankshaft several times to make sure the transmission rotates freely and does not bind.
- Install the rear crossmember.
- Remove the engine and transmission supports.
- Install the starter and connect the driveshaft. Torque the flange bolts to 29-33 ft. lbs. (34-44 Nm).
- Unplug, connect and tighten the fluid cooler tubes.
- Connect the speedometer cable and the vacuum tube.
- Connect the front exhaust pipe using new gaskets.
- Connect the switch wiring to the transmission.
- Connect the shift linkage.
- Connect the negative battery cable, fill the transmission to the proper level and make any necessary adjustment.
- Perform a road test and check the fluid level.