200SX(1982-83 Z series engine)
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Make a check of the power supply circuit. Turn the ignition OFF, Disconnect the connector from the top of the IC unit. Turn the ignition ON. Measure the voltage at each terminal of the connector in turn by touch the probe of the positive lead of the voltmeter to one of the terminals, and touching the probe of the negative lead of the voltmeter to a ground, such as the engine. In each case, battery voltage (12 volts) should be indicated. If not, check all wiring, the ignition switch, and all connectors for breaks, corrosion, discontinuity, etc., and repair as necessary.
- Check the primary windings of the ignition coil. Turn the ignition OFF. Disconnect the harness connector from the negative coil terminal. Use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance between the positive and negative coil terminals. If resistance is 1.04-1.27- the coil is OK. Replace coil(s) if far from this specification range.
- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
- Disable the electronic fuel injection so engine will not start (disconnect the EFI injection fusible link).
- Disconnect the high tension cable from the distributor. Hold the cable with insulated pliers to avoid getting shocked. Position the wire about a 1 / 4 in. (6mm) from the engine block and have an assistant turn over the engine using the starter. A good spark should jump from the cable to the engine block or ground.
The 1984-88 200SX, 1989-92 240SX and Stanza vehicles use a highly complex computerized ignition system. For complete testing, flow charts and engine code diagnostic procedures-Seesection 2andsection 4.Stanza
PRIMARY RESISTANCE CHECK
Testing with a ohmmeter, the reading should be 0.84-1.02- for the Stanza models from 1982-86. On the Stanza models from 1987 and later a "Mold type" coil is used, first remove the coil wire then connect the leads of an ohmmeter to the positive (+) and negative (-) terminals at the bottom of the coil assembly the reading should 0.8-1.0- for this type coil. If the reading is more than specified, replace the ignition coil assembly.SECONDARY RESISTANCE CHECK
Turn the ignition key OFF, then remove the high tension and a primary coil wire from the coil using an ohmmeter, set it on the X1000 scale. Touch one lead to a primary terminal and the other lead to the center terminal. The resistance should be 8,200-12,400- if not, replace the ignition coil.
On some later model vehicles, a power transistor is used with the ignition coil. The ignition signal from the ECU is amplified by the power transistor, which turns the ignition coil primary circuit on and off, inducing the proper high voltage in the secondary circuit. On these models the ignition coil is a small molded type.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
On all models, the coil assembly is either mounted to the wall of the engine compartment or the engine. To remove disconnect and mark all electrical connections-remove the coil assembly, then transfer coil mounting bracket if so equipped to the new coil. When installing the new coil make sure that the coil wire and all other electrical connections are properly installed.