REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Remove the transmission or transaxle.
- Remove the flywheel or drive plate.
- Remove the rear oil seal retainer from the block. On the early models, the seal retainer is part of the block--using a small pry bar, pry the rear main oil seal from around the crankshaft.
- Using a suitable prying tool, remove the oil seal from the retainer.
- Thoroughly scrape the surface of the retainer to remove any traces of the existing sealant or gasket material.
- Wipe the seal bore with a clean rag.
- Apply clean engine oil to the new oil seal and carefully install it into the retainer using the proper seal installation tool.
- Install the rear oil seal retainer into the engine, along with a new gasket. Apply a 0.080-.12 in. (2-3mm) of liquid gasket to the rear oil seal retainer prior to installation as necessary. Torque the bolts to 36 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
On early models apply lithium grease around the sealing lip of the oil seal and install the seal by driving it into the cylinder block using an oil installation tool.
- Install the flywheel or driveplate.
- Install the transmission or transaxle.