REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
All Models/Engines (Except 200SX VG30E Engine)
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the coolant from the radiator and cylinder block.
- Remove all the drive belts.
- Unbolt the fan assembly/water pump pulley and the water pump attaching bolts.
- Separate the water pump with the gasket, if installed, from the cylinder block.
- Remove all gasket material or sealant from the water pump mating surfaces. All sealant must be removed from the groove in the water pump surface also.
- Apply a continuous bead of high temperature liquid gasket to the water pump housing mating surface. The housing must be attached to the cylinder block within 5 minutes after the sealant is applied. After the pump housing is bolted to the block, wait at least 30 minutes for the sealant to cure before starting the engine.
- Position the water pump (and gasket) onto the block and install the attaching bolts. Torque the small retaining bolts to about 5 ft. lbs. and large retaining bolts 1214 ft. lbs. EVENLY in steps.
- Install the water pump pulley/fan assembly.
- Install the drive belts and adjust the tension.
- Fill the cooling system to the proper level. Bleed the cooling system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
See Figure 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and drain the coolant from the radiator and the left side drain cocks on the cylinder block.
- Remove the radiator shroud.
- Remove the power steering, compressor and alternator drive belts.
- Remove the cooling fan and coupling.
- Disconnect the water pump hoses.
- Remove the water pump pulley, then the upper and lower timing covers.
Be careful not to get coolant on the timing belt and to avoid deforming the timing cover, make sure there is enough clearance between the timing cover and the hose clamp.
- Remove the water pump retaining bolts, note different lengths, and remove the pump.
- Make sure the gasket sealing surfaces are clean and free of all the old gasket material.
- Mount the water pump and gasket onto the cylinder block. Torque the retaining bolts EVENLY in steps to 1215 ft. lbs.
- Install the upper and lower timing belt covers.
- Connect the water pump hoses.
- Install the cooling fan and coupling assembly.
- Install and tension the drive belts.
- Install the radiator shroud.
- Fill and bleed the cooling system and connect the negative battery cable.