REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely and remove the wheels.
- Remove wheel bearing lock nut.
- Remove brake caliper assembly. Make sure not to twist the brake hose.
- Remove tie rod ball joint.
Cover axle boots with waste cloth or equivalent so as not to damage them when removing driveshaft. Make a matching mark on strut housing and adjusting pin before removing them.
- Separate halfshaft from the knuckle by slightly tapping it.
- Mark and remove the strut mounting bolts.
- Remove lower ball joint from knuckle.
- Remove knuckle from lower control arm.
To replace the wheel bearings and races they must be pressed in and out of the knuckle assembly. To pack the wheel bearings they will have to be removed from the knuckle assembly. Refer to the illustrations.
- Install the knuckle to the lower control arm and connect the ball joint, use a NEW retaining nut and cotter pin on ball joint assembly.
- Connect the knuckle to the strut and to the halfshaft.
- Install the tie rod ball joint, use a NEW cotter pin.
- Install the brake caliper assembly.
- Install the wheel bearing lock nut torque hub nut to 145-203 ft. lbs. (1982-87 Stanza with plain rotor assembly-see illustrations) and all other applications to 174-231 ft. lbs.-see the illustrations.
- Install the front wheels. Check front end alignment.