REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
200SX and 240SX
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the tension rod-to-frame lock nuts.
- Remove the 2 mounting bolts at the transverse link, lower control arm, and then slide out the tension rod.
- On 240SX, to remove the tension rod, remove the bolt and nut that holds the rod to the tension rod bracket (through the bushing), then swing the rod upward and remove the transverse link bolts, nuts, bushings and washers. If the bushings are worn replace them.
- Unbolt the stabilizer bar at each transverse link or connecting rod. On 240SX, engage the flats of stabilizer bar connecting rod with a wrench to keep the rod from moving when removing the nuts.
- Remove the 4 stabilizer bar bracket bolts, and remove the stabilizer bar.
During installation observe the following:
- Tighten the stabilizer bar-to-transverse link bolts to 12-16 ft. lbs. and 34-38 ft. lbs. on 240SX.
- Tighten the stabilizer bar bracket bolts to 22-29 ft. lbs. and 29-36 ft. lbs. on 240SX.
- Tighten the tension rod-to-transverse link nuts to 31-43 ft. lbs. On 240SX, torque the plain nuts to 65-80 ft. lbs. and the nuts with bushings and washers to 14-22 ft. lbs. Make sure to hold the connecting rod stationary.
- Tighten the tension rod-to-frame nut (bushing end) to 33-40 ft. lbs. Always use a new lock-nut when reconnecting the tension rod to the frame.
- Be certain the tension rod bushings are installed properly. Make sure the stabilizer bar ball joint socket is properly positioned.
Never tighten any bolts or nuts to their final torque unless the vehicle is resting, unsupported, on the wheels (Unladen condition).Stanza/Stanza Wagon 2WD and 4WD
See Figures 4 and 5
On this service procedure-modify the steps to the correct application-perfrom only the necessary service steps.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Disconnect the parking brake cable at the equalizer on the Stanza Wagon (2WD).
- On the Stanza Wagon (4WD), remove the mounting nuts for the transaxle support rod and the transaxle control rod.
- Disconnect the front exhaust pipe at the manifold and position it aside (not required on Stanza car).
- On the Stanza Wagon (4WD), matchmark the flanges and then separate the driveshaft from the transfer case.
- Remove the stabilizer bar-to-transverse link (lower, control arm) mounting bolts. Engage the flats of stabilizer bar connecting rod with a wrench to keep the rod from moving when removing (and installing) the bolts.
- Matchmark the stabilizer bar to the mounting clamps.
- Remove the stabilizer bar mounting clamp bolts and then pull the bar out, around the link and exhaust pipe.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Never tighten the mounting bolts unless the vehicle is resting on the ground with normal weight upon the wheels. Be sure the stabilizer bar ball joint socket is properly positioned. Refer to the illustrations.