REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1982 and Later 200SX240SX
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
On the 1984-88 200SX and 240SX models NO factory "Removal and Installation" procedures are given use this procedure as a guide. Refer to the exploded view of each heater system--modify service steps as necessary.
- Set the TEMP lever to the HOT position and drain the coolant.
- Disconnect the heater hoses from the driver's side of the heater unit.
- At this point the manufacturer suggests you remove the front seats. To do this, remove the plastic covers over the ends of the seat runners, both front and back, to expose the seat mounting bolts. Remove the bolts and remove the seats.
- Remove the console box and the floor carpets.
- Remove the instrument panel lower covers from both the driver's and passenger's sides of the car. Remove the lower cluster lids.
- Remove the left hand side ventilator duct.
- Remove the radio, sound balancer and stereo cassette deck if so equipped.
- Remove the instrument panel-to-transmission tunnel stay.
- Remove the rear heater duct from the floor of the vehicle.
- Remove the center ventilator duct.
- Remove the left and right hand side air guides from the lower heater outlets.
- Disconnect the wire harness connections.
- Remove the two screws at the bottom sides of the heater unit and the one screw and the top of the unit and remove the unit together with the heater control assembly.
On late models the heater control cables and control assembly may have to be removed before the heater unit is removed. Always mark control cables before removing them to ensure correct adjustment and proper operation.To install:
- Install the heater assembly with retaining bolts in the vehicle. Reconnect all electrical and heater control cable connections if removed.
- Install the left and right hand side air guides to the lower heater outlets.
- Install the center ventilator duct.
- Install the rear heater duct to the floor of the vehicle and all components that were removed to gain access to the rear heater duct retaining bolts.
- Install the instrument panel lower covers, floor carpets, console box and seats if removed.
- Reconnect the two heater hoses with new hose clamps. Connect the battery ground cable and refill the cooling system.
- Run the engine for a few minutes with the heater on to make sure the coolant level is correct. Check for any coolant leaks and the heater system for proper operation.
See Figures 5, 6, 7 and 8
The air conditioning evaporator core is mounted in the engine compartment on some models, no air conditioning interference is experienced when removing the heater core on these vehicles. When refilling the cooling system be sure to bleed the air from it, refer to General Information & Maintenance .
Refer to the exploded view of each heater system--modify service steps as necessary.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the instrument panel.
- Disconnect the heater hoses and vacuum lines in the engine compartment.
- Disconnect the control lever and electrical connectors. Remove the heater control assembly.
- Unbolt and remove the heater unit assembly.
- Install the heater unit in the vehicle.
- Install the heater control assembly, control lever and electrical connections.
- Connect the heater hoses and vacuum tube.
- Install the instrument panel and refill the cooling system.
- Start engine and check system for proper operation.