REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
200SX And 240SX
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the back-up light switch on all units and neutral switch, if equipped.
- Disconnect the accelerator linkage.
- Matchmark then unbolt the driveshaft at the rear and remove. If equipped with a center bearing, unbolt it from the crossmember. Plug the end of the transmission extension to prevent leakage.
- Disconnect the speedometer drive cable from the transmission.
- Place the shift lever in the N position. Remove the E-ring and pull the shifter lever out of the transmission.
- Remove the clutch operating (slave cylinder) cylinder from the clutch housing.
- Support the engine with a large wood block and a jack under the oil pan. Do not place the jack under the oil pan drain plug.
- Unbolt the transmission from the crossmember. Support the transmission with a jack and remove the crossmember.
- Lower the rear of the engine to allow clearance.
- Remove the starter assembly.
- Unbolt the transmission assembly from the engine. Lower and move it to the rear.
Tagging the transmission-to-engine bolts upon removal is necessary to ensure proper tightening during installation.To install:
- Clean the engine and transmission mating surfaces. Lightly lubricate the clutch disc and main drive gear splines and control lever sliding surfaces with grease.
- Lubricate the rear extension oil seal lip and bushing with clean transmission fluid.
- Properly support the transmission and raise onto the engine.
Use the following torque specifications to bolt the transmission to the engine:
- On 200SX with 4 cylinder engines, tighten the 4 longer bolts to 29-36 ft. lbs. and the 4 shorter bolts to 22-29 ft. lbs.
- On the 200SX with V6 engines, tighten the long mounting bolts (65mm and 60mm) to 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm). Tighten the short bolts (55mm and 25mm) to 22-29 ft. lbs. (29-39 Nm).
- On 240SX, torque the 70mm, 60mm, 25mm bolts (1, 2, 4) and engine-to-gusset bolts to 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm). Torque the 30mm bolts (3) to 22-29 ft. lbs. (29-39 ft. lbs.)
- Install the starter assembly.
- Raise the rear of the engine to it's original position.
- Bolt the crossmember in place. Remove the jack.
- Bolt the clutch operating cylinder to the clutch housing.
- Install the shift lever and secure with snap-ring.
- Connect the speedometer cable.
- Install the driveshaft making sure the flange marks are aligned properly.
- Reconnect the accelerator linkage.
- Connect the neutral safety and back-up light switches, if so equipped.
- Connect the negative battery cable and lower the vehicle. Check the fluid level and roadtest the vehicle for proper operation.