REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
This is a complete rear axle housing and rear suspension service procedure--modify the steps as necessary. Refer to the illustrations.
- Raise the rear of the vehicle and support safely. Drain the oil from the differential. Position a floor jack underneath the differential unit.
- Disconnect the brake hydraulic lines and the parking brake cable. Remove the brake caliper leaving the brake line connected. Plug the brake lines to prevent leakage.
- Disconnect the sway bar from the control arms on either side.
- Remove the rear exhaust pipe.
- Disconnect the driveshaft and the rear axle shafts.
- Remove the rear shock absorbers from the control arms.
- Unbolt the differential unit from the chassis at the differential mounting insulator. Remove the mounting member from the front of the final drive unit if so equipped.
- Lower the rear assembly out of the vehicle using the floor jack. It is best to have at least one other person helping to balance the assembly. After the final drive is removed, support the center suspension member to prevent damage to the insulators.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Refer to the necessary service procedures, illustrations and torque specifications in this manual.