REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Block the front wheels. Loosen the wheel nuts, raise and support the car, and remove the wheel.
- Remove the halfshaft.
- On cars with rear disc brakes, unbolt the caliper and move it aside. Do not allow the caliper to hang by the hose. Support the caliper with a length of wire or rest it on a suspension member.
- Remove the brake disc on models with rear disc brakes. Remove the brake drum on cars with drum brakes.
- Remove the stub axle nut. You will have to hold the sub axle at the outside while removing the nut from the axle shaft side. The nut will require a good deal of force to remove, so be sure to hold the stub axle firmly.
- Remove the stub axle with a slide hammer and an adapter. The outer wheel bearing will come off with the stub axle.
- Remove the companion flange from the lower arm.
- Remove and discard the grease seal and inner bearing from the lower arm using a drift made for the purpose or a length of pipe of the proper diameter. The outer bearing can be removed from the stub axle with a puller. If the grease seal or the bearings are removed, new parts must be used on assembly.
- Clean all the parts to be reused in solvent.
- Sealed type bearings are used. When the new bearings are installed, the sealed side must face out. Install the sealed side of the outer bearing facing the wheel, and the sealed side of the inner bearing facing the differential.
- Press the outer bearing onto the stub axle.
When a spacer is reused, make sure that both ends are not collapsed or deformed. When installing, make sure that the larger side faces the axle shaft flange.
- The bearing housing is stamped with a letter. Select a spacer with the same marking. Install the spacer on the stub axle.
- Install the stub axle into the lower arm.
- Install the new inner bearing into the lower arm with the stub axle in place. Install a new grease seal.
- Install the companion flange onto the stub axle.
- Install the stub axle nut. On 1984-87 200SX models the torque specification is 217-289 ft. lbs. for the axle stub nut. On the 1988 200SX model the torque specification is 152-210 ft. lbs. for the axle stub nut.
- Install the brake disc or drum, and the caliper if removed.
- Install the halfshaft. Install the wheel and lower the car.