REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1982-89 Stanza Wagon 2WD
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the rear wheel. Release the parking brake.
- Work off center hub cap by using thin tool. If necessary tap around it with a soft hammer while removing.
- Pry off cotter pin and take out adjusting cap and wheel bearing lock nut.
During removal, be careful to avoid damaging O ring in dust cap if so equipped.
- Remove rear drum with outer bearing and washer and inner bearing and seal inside the drum.
- Remove inner bearing and seal from drum using long brass drift pin or equivalent.
- Install the inner bearing (and seal in the correct position) assembly in the brake drum and install the drum on the vehicle.
The rear wheel bearings must be adjusted after installation, if one piece bearing is used just the torque wheel bearing lock nut.
- Install the outer bearing assembly, wheel bearing lock nut, adjusting cap and NEW cotter pin. Adjust the wheel bearings-refer to the necessary procedure.
- Install the center cap and the wheel assembly. To remove the wheel bearing races knock them out of the brake drum using a suitable brass punch.
See Figure 4
On these vehicles a one-piece bearing hub assembly is used. This assembly does not require maintenance or adjustment after installation. If any problem (noise, excessive drag etc.) replace the wheel hub assembly.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the rear wheel.
- Remove the brake caliper (brake hose does not have to be disconnect from the caliper) assembly and reposition-refer to the necessary service procedures.
- Remove the wheel bearing lock-nut. Remove the bearing hub assembly.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten wheel bearing lock-nut to 137188 ft. lbs. Check that wheel bearing operates smoothly.
This assembly does not require maintenance or adjustment after installation. If any problem replace the necessary component.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove wheel bearing lock nut while depressing brake pedal.
- Disconnect brake hydraulic line and parking brake cable.
- Separate driveshaft from knuckle by slightly tapping it with suitable tool. Cover axle boots with waste cloth so as not to damage them when removing driveshaft.
- Remove all knuckle retaining bolts and nuts. Make a match mark before removing adjusting pin if so equipped.
- Remove knuckle and inner and outer circular clips. Remove wheel bearings.
To remove the wheel bearing races knock them out of the knuckle using a suitable brass punch.
- Install the knuckle with wheel bearings to the driveshaft.
- Connect brake hydraulic line and parking brake cable.
- Install the wheel bearing lock nut.
- Bleed brakes. Check rear alignment.
No adjustment is necessary on Stanza Wagon 4WD, 240SX and 1990-92 Stanza (one-piece bearing hub assembly).
Make sure all parts are cleaned, apply multi-purpose grease sparingly to rubbing surface of the spindle, between surface of lock washer and outer wheel bearing, grease seal and dust cap in the proper areas.
- Raise the rear of the vehicle and support it on jackstands.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the bearing dust cap with a pair of channel locks pliers or equivalent.
- Remove the cotter pin and retaining nut cap, dispose of the cotter pin.
- On 1982-86 Stanza models-tighten the wheel bearing lock-nut 29-33 ft. lbs.
On 1987-89 Stanza and Stanza Wagon 2WD-tighten the wheel bearing lock-nut 18-25 ft. lbs.
- Rotate the drum back and forth a few revolutions to seat wheel bearing.
On 1987-89 Stanza and Stanza Wagon 2WD-loosen wheel bearing lock-nut so that the preload becomes 0 then torque to 6.5-8.7 ft. lbs. turn wheel hub several times in both directions and retorque to 6.5-8.7 ft. lbs.
- On 1982-86 Stanza only, after turning the wheel, recheck the torque (29-33 ft. lbs. is specification for these vehicles) of the nut, then loosen it 90° from its position.
- Install the retaining nut cap. Align the cotter pin holes in the nut cap with hole in the spindle by tighten the nut no more than 15° to align the holes.
- Install the NEW cotter pin, bend up its ends and install the dust cap.