See Figures 1 through 12
FUEL PRESSURE RELEASE PROCEDURE
The fuel pressure must be released on fuel injected models before removing the fuel filter. To relieve the fuel pressure remove the gas cap then remove/disconnect the fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay or electrical fuel pump connection to disable the electrical fuel pump.
Start the engine and run, after the engine stalls crank the engine a couple times to release pressure. Turn ignition switch OFF and install/connect fuse, relay or electrical connection to fuel pump.
On some late models the Check Engine Light will stay on after installation is completed. The memory code in the control unit must be erased. To erase the code disconnect the battery cable for 1 minute then reconnect after installation of fuel filter. Refer to Engine Controls and section 5 for more information.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Datsun/Nissan recommended if the vehicle is operated under extremely adverse weather conditions or in areas of extreme high or low ambient temperatures the fuel filter may become clogged. Is so, replace the fuel filter immediately. The fuel filter and fuel lines should be inspected 30,000 mile or 24 months. Check fuel lines and fuel tank assembly for proper attachment to the vehicle. Check fuel lines and filter for leaks, cracks, damage or loose connections.
The fuel filter on all models is a disposable or replaceable unit if necessary. Most models the fuel filter is located in the engine compartment (refer to the illustrations) on the right inner fender well. On the Stanza wagon, the fuel filter is found inline, outside the vehicle under the floor, near the fuel pump assembly.
A DIRTY FUEL FILTER WILL STARVE THE ENGINE AND CAUSE POOR RUNNING!
- Release the fuel pressure. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Locate fuel filter on right-side of the engine compartment and place a container under the filter to catch the excess fuel.
On the Stanza wagon, the fuel filter is found inline, under the floor, near the fuel pump.
- Disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses from the fuel filter. Make certain that the inlet hose (bottom) doesn't fall below the fuel tank level or the gasoline will drain out.
- Remove the fuel filter from its clip and replace the assembly.
- Replace the inlet and outlet gas hose lines if necessary. Install the fuel filter assembly in place, always replace the gas hose clamps on EFI models. Tighten hose clamp so that clamp end is 3mm from the hose end.
Ensure that the screw does not contact adjacent parts.
- Start the engine and check for fuel leaks. On late models the "Check Engine Light" will stay on after installation is completed. The memory code in the control unit must be erased. To erase the code disconnect the battery cable for 1 minute then reconnect. Refer to Engine Controls if necessary.