REMOVAL & ADJUSTMENT
See Figure 1
- Raise and support the vehicle as necessary. Remove the bolt securing the lower shaft (matchmark shaft to joint assembly-for correct installation) to power steering gear assembly.
- Disconnect the hoses from the power steering gear and plug the hoses to prevent leakage.
- Using the Ball Joint Remover tool HT72520000 or equivalent, remove tie rod ends from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the power steering gear mounting bolts.
- Remove the exhaust pipe mounting nut. Disconnect the control cable or linkage for the transmission and position it out of the way.
- Remove the steering gear from the vehicle.
- Position and install the steering gear to the vehicle. Torque the clamp retaining bolts to EVENLY in steps to 29-36 ft. lbs. Refer to the illustrations.
- Install tie rod end to steering knuckle-refer to the necessary service procedures for torque specifications. Connect the control cable or linkage to the transmission and install the exhaust system.
- Reconnect the hoses to the power steering gear. Install the bolt securing the lower shaft to power steering gear assembly torque to 17-22 ft. lbs. (26-31 ft. lbs. on older applications).
- Check the fluid level. Bleed system as necessary. Start the engine check for leaks and for proper operation of the system. Check front end alignment if necessary.
When installing the lower steering joint to the steering gear, make sure that the wheels are aligned straight and the steering joint slot is aligned.240SX
See Figure 2
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely and remove the wheels.
- Disconnect the power steering hose from the power steering gear and plug all hoses to prevent leakage.
- Disconnect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckle using a suitable tools.
- Remove the lower joint assembly (matchmark for correct installation) from the steering gear pinion.
- Remove the steering gear and linkage assembly from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse order of the removal procedure. Bleed system as necessary. Torque the lower joint to steering