When replacing fuel line parts, be sure to work in a well ventilated area and furnish workshop with a CO2 fire extinguisher. Do not smoke while servicing fuel system. Keep open flames and sparks away from the work area.
Always replace O-rings and clamps with new ones. Do not kink or twist hoses when they are being installed. Do not tighten hose clamps excessively to avoid damaging hoses. Tighten high-pressure rubber hose clamp so that clamp end is 0.12 inches (3 mm) from hose end. Tightening torque specifications are the same for all rubber hose clamps. Ensure that screw does not contact adjacent parts.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the fuel filler cap to release the pressure from inside the fuel tank.
- Check the fuel level on level gauge. If the fuel gauge indicates more than the level as full or almost full, drain the fuel from the fuel tank until the fuel gauge indicates the level as less.
If the fuel pump does not operate, use the following procedure to drain the fuel:
Insert a suitable hose of less than 15 mm (0.59 in) diameter into the fuel filler pipe through the fuel filler opening to drain the fuel from fuel filler pipe.
- Release the fuel pressure from the fuel lines.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the three nuts and remove fuel line pump protector.
- Disconnect the EVAP hose at the EVAP canister.
Disconnect the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly electrical connector, and the fuel feed hose.
CAUTIONObserve the following when disconnecting the quick-connectors:
The tube can be removed when the tabs are completely depressed. Do not twist it more than necessary.
Disconnect the quick-connectors by performing the following:
Hold the sides of the connector, push in tabs and pull out the tube.
- Remove the four bolts and remove the fuel tank shield using power tool.
- Disconnect fuel filler hose at the fuel tank side.
- Remove the fuel tank strap bolts while supporting the fuel tank with a suitable lift jack.
- Lower the fuel tank using a suitable lift jack and remove it from the vehicle.
- If necessary, remove the lock ring using Tool: J-46536.
- If necessary, remove the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly. Discard the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly O-ring.
- To install, reverse removal procedure.
Connect the quick-connectors by performing the following:
Check the connection for damage or any foreign materials
- Turn the ignition switch ON but do not start engine, then check the fuel pipe and hose connections for leaks while applying fuel pressure to the system.
- Start the engine and rev it above idle speed, then check that there are no fuel leaks at any of the fuel pipe and hose connections.