REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle on jackstands. Place an oil catch pan under the transmission.
- Remove the oil pan-to-transmission mounting bolts.
- Remove the pan slowly, keeping it level to avoid spilling fluid. Drain the fluid.
Inspect the oil pan for sludge and/or metal particles. If metal particles are present, further disassembly of the transmission is necessary to determine the cause.
- Using solvent, clean the pan.
- Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- To install, use a new gasket and reverse the removal procedures. Tighten the pan-to-transmission bolts to 3.6-5.1 ft. lbs. (5-7 Nm). Refill with Dexron® fluid and check the level as described in General Information & Maintenance .
When torquing the mounting bolts, go back-and-forth in a crisscross fashion.
- Refer to the Fluid Pan, Removal and Installation procedures, in this section and remove the oil pan.
- Remove the oil strainer from the control body.
- Inspect the oil strainer for metal particles. If metal particles are present, further disassembly of the transmission is necessary to determine the cause.
- Using solvent, clean the oil strainer.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures.