REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the terminal followed by the positive cable. Special pullers are available to remove the cable clamps.
- Remove the battery hold-down clamp.
- Remove the battery, being careful not to spill the acid.
Spilled acid can be neutralized with a baking soda/water solution. If you somehow get acid into your eyes, flush it out with lots of water and get to a doctor.
- Clean the battery posts thoroughly before reinstalling or when installing a new battery.
- Clean the cable clamps, using a wire brush, both inside and out.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Connect the positive and then the negative cables. DO NOT hammer them into place. The terminals should be coated lightly (externally) with grease to prevent corrosion. There are also felt washers impregnated with an anti-corrosion substance which are slipped over the battery posts before installing the cables; these are available in the auto parts stores.
For maintenance procedures, refer to the battery procedures in General Information & Maintenance for details.