The extension tube is located between the muffler and the catalytic converter/pre-muffler. To remove it, the muffler or the catalytic converter/pre-muffler must be removed, whichever is easier.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Refer to the Muffler removal and installation or the Catalytic Converter/Pre-Muffler removal and installation procedures in this section, and remove the muffler or the catalytic converter/pre-muffler.
- Remove the extension tube from the vehicle.
- To install, use a new extension tube, clamps, bolts, nuts and/or gasket(s), then reverse the removal procedures.
SEALING THE EXHAUST SYSTEM
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
Nissan supplies an exhaust system sealant, which can be installed when the exhaust system is new or the components are clean (bare metal). The Exhaust Sealant Kit No. 20720-N2225, is used to eliminate gas leakage past the joints.
- Wipe all of the joint contact surfaces clean and allow them to dry.
- Mount the exhaust system onto the vehicle.
- Tighten the U-bolts to 16-22 ft. lbs. (21-39 Nm).
- For each joint, squeeze 5-6cc of sealant into the injector from the sealant tube.
Be sure to replace the cap on the sealant tube, for the sealant will dry out.
- Position the injector nozzle to the tube guide and squeeze firmly; the sealant will flow into the guide. When the sealant flows out of the slit of the tube, no further sealant is necessary.
- Start the engine and allow it to idle for 10 minutes, to harden the sealant.
- Before driving the vehicle, check the condition of the sealant. DO NOT accelerate the engine sharply for 20-30 minutes after the procedure.