The muffler is located at the rear of the exhaust system. Some mufflers are clamped to the extension tube, while others are welded to the extension tube.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- If equipped, remove the heat shield(s) from the muffler and the extension tube.
- Remove the extension tube clamp at the muffler or at the extension tube intersection (welded tube type); separate the extension tube from the hanger bracket.
- On 1979-81 models, remove the tail tube and clamps from the rear of the muffler. Using a hammer, rap the tube connection to loosen the rust. Remove the tail tube hanger brackets and the tail tube from the vehicle.
If the tube will not separate, drive a cold chisel between the mating surface to loosen the tube or cut the muffler tube from the muffler (without damaging the tail tube), then remove the cut off piece from the tail tube.
- Working at the front of the muffler, separate the muffler from the extension tube.
- Support the muffler, then remove the muffler-to-hanger bracket bolt/nut and the muffler from the vehicle.
- To install, use a new muffler, clamps (if necessary) and reverse the removal procedures.