See Figure 1
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Open the hatch. Place covers on the body to protect them from paint damage.
- Using a scribing tool, mark the position of the hinges to the hatch.
On the 1979 and later models, remove the rear roof rail trim, then disconnect the rear defogger and the rear window wiper electrical connectors and hose.
- Holding both sides of the hatch, remove the hatch-to-stay bolts, the hinge-to-hatch bolts and the hatch.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Align the hinge-to-hatch scribe marks, then tighten the hinge-to-hatch bolts to 48-64 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm) and the hatch-to-stay bolts to 24-32 inch lbs. (4-5 Nm).
The hatch adjustment is performed with the hatch hinges and the hatch door lock.
To align the hatch to the body, perform the following:
- Loosen the hatch-to-hinge bolts.
- Move the hatch left and right to obtain an equal clearance between both back fenders.
- Move the hatch fore and aft to obtain an equal clearance between the hatch and the roof.
- Tighten the hatch-to-hinge bolts to 48-64 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
To obtain a snug fit between the hatch and the weatherstrip, perform the following procedures:
- Loosen the hatch lock-to-body bolts.
- Move the lock up and down (for weatherstrip sealing) or side-to-side (for centering the latch).
- After the desired adjustment is acquired, tighten the hatch lock-to-body bolts to 24-32 inch lbs. (4-5 Nm).
- If further adjustment is necessary, loosen the hatch-to-door latch bolts, move the latch and tighten the bolts.