REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
On 1970-83 models, the hood opens toward the front; it locks into place with a single stay. On 1984-88 models, the hood opens toward the rear; it is held open by two non-locking stays.
- Raise the hood. Place covers on the fenders to protect them from paint damage.
- Using a scribing tool, mark the position of the hinges to the hood.
- Holding both sides of the hood, remove the hinge-to-hood bolts, the stay(s) and the hood.
On the 1984 and later models, remove the stay-to-hood bolts.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Align the hinge-to-hood scribe marks and tighten the hinge-to-hood bolts to 48-64 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm) for 1970-83 or 63-72 inch lbs. (9-12 Nm) for 1984 and later, the stay-to-hood bolts to 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-21 Nm) for 1984-88 models.
See Figures 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
For the fore and aft adjustment, perform the following:
- Loosen the hinge-to-hood bolts and reposition the hood.
- Loosen the hood bumper lock nuts and lower the bumpers until they do not contact the hood when it is locked.
- Loosen the hood lock mounting bolts and set the striker at the center of the hood lock, then tighten the bolts temporarily.
- Tighten the hinge-to-hood bolts to 48-64 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm) for 1970-83 or 56-64 inch lbs. (9.1-11.8 Nm) for 1984 and later.
To align the hood flush with the body, perform the following:
- Loosen the hinge-to-body bolts and the hood lock-to-body bolts.
- Move the hood and/or the hood lock up or down to obtain a flush fit.
- Tighten the hinge-to-body bolts to 48-64 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm) for 1970-83 or 56-72 inch. lbs. (9-12 Nm) for 1984 and later, the hood lock-to-body bolts to 48-64 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm) for 1970-83 or 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-21 Nm) for 1984 and later.
- Raise the bumpers until they contact the hood in the locked position.