The only regular inspection needed is the periodic checking of the link bushing.
To inspect the transverse link bushing, perform the following:
- Check the bushing for melted or cracked areas where it adheres to the inner or outer tubes.
- Check for cracks inside the bushing.
- If damage is found, the bushing must be pressed out from the link. This will require a press or a driver and a length of pipe of the same outer diameter as the bushing and a spacer to be placed under the link, through which the bushing can pass as it is pressed from the link. Once the old bushing has been forced out, the new bushing can be pressed into the link.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Loosen the wheel nuts. Raise and support the the front of the vehicle on jackstands, then remove the wheel assembly.
- Remove the splash shield.
- Remove the cotter pin and the castle nut from the steering linkage ball joint at the steering knuckle.
- Using the Ball Joint Removal tool No. HT2520000, separate the steering linkage from the knuckle.
- Remove the knuckle arm-to-MacPherson strut bolts. Using a long prytool, separate the knuckle from the strut.
- Remove the compression rod (1970-78) or the tension rod (1979 and later) and the stabilizer bar from the transverse link.
- Remove the transverse link (lower arm) mounting bolt and the link from the vehicle, complete with the knuckle and ball joint.
To complete the procedure, perform the following procedures:
- Remove the bolt from the bottom of the ball joint and install a grease nipple. Pump multi-purpose grease (NLGI No. 2 lithium soap base) into the ball joint until all old grease is expelled and the joint is full. Do not allow new grease to be forced past the clamped portion of the joint. Remove the grease nipple and install the plug.
- Install the parts in the reverse order of removal. Tighten the ball joint stud nut (castle nut) to 40-54 ft. lbs. (55-75 Nm) for 1970-78; 71-88 ft. lbs. (98-122 Nm) for 1979 and later. Install a new cotter pin after installation.
- Tighten the ball joint-to-transverse link bolt to 35-45 ft. lbs. (49-63 Nm) for 1970-73; 44-51 ft. lbs. (61-71 Nm) for 1974; 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm) for 1975-78 or 33-40 ft. lbs. (45-55 Nm) for 1979-83.
- When installing the transverse link, install the pivot bolt and tighten it enough to hold it in place. When assembly is complete, lower the vehicle and tighten (with the weight of the vehicle on its wheels) the transverse link-to-suspension crossmember bolt/nut to 80-94 ft. lbs. (110-130 Nm) for 1970-73, 80-101 ft. lbs. (111-140 Nm) for 1974-78, 58-80 ft. lbs. (80-110 Nm) for 1979-83 or 69-83 ft. lbs. (93-113 Nm) for 1984 and later.