The 300 ZX models have an electronic LED instrument cluster which utilizes a speed sensor (mounted next to the driver's side strut tower) to convert the speedometer cable's mechanical signal into an electrical signal; data is transferred from the speed sensor to the instrument cluster via a wiring harness.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
On all models except the 300 ZX, reach up under the instrument panel and disconnect the cable housing from the back of the speedometer. It is attached by a knurled knob which simply unscrews.
- On the 240 Z, 260 Z and 280 Z models, remove the screw under the instrument panel, which retains the speedometer cable to a bracket. Pull the cable from the housing.
- The 280 ZX models have an intermediate connection in the passenger compartment. Unscrew the intermediate connection and pull the two cables from the housings.
- On the 300 ZX, open the hood. Unscrew the retaining knob and disconnect the cable housing from the speed sensor.
- Unscrew the retaining knob and remove the cable from the transmission.
If the cable is broken, the other half of the cable will have to be removed from the transmission end.
- Lubricate the cable with graphite powder or speedometer cable lubricant and feed the cable into the housing.
It is best to start at the speedometer end and feed the cable down towards the transmission. It is also usually necessary to unscrew the transmission connection and install the cable end to the gear, then reconnect the housing to the transmission.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures.