To remove the wheel bearings, refer to the Wheel Bearing removal and installation procedures in General Information & Maintenance , and replace the wheel bearings.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Refer to the Rear Brake Caliper, Removal and Installation procedures, in this section and remove the caliper.
- Pull the rotor from the hub.
- To install, position the rotor to the hub then install the caliper as outlined earlier.
- Check the surface for wear or scoring. Deep scoring, grooves or rust pitting can be removed by refacing. Minimum thickness is 0.33 in. (8.6mm) for 1970-83 models and 0.35 in. (9.0mm) 1984-86 models or 0.70 in. (18.0mm) for 1987-88 models. Replace the rotor if the rotor will be thinner than this after refinishing, it must be replaced.
- Check the disc parallelism; it must be less than 0.001 in. (0.03mm). If over this specification, the disc must be replaced.
- Install the disc and the wheel nuts. Check the run-out with a dial indicator. If run-out exceeds 0.006 in. (0.15mm) for 1970-81 models and 0.003 in. (0.07mm) for 1982 and later models, the disc needs to be refinished or replaced.