- Clean the shoes with a stiff brush.
Check the shoes for:
Heavy saturation with fluid or grease
If either condition applies, replace both shoes with a new set. This minimum thickness measurement may disagree with your state inspection laws. If so, consider the thicker measurement as the minimum standard.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Refer to the Rear Brake Drum removal and installation procedures in this section, and remove the brake drum.
- Remove the anti-rattle springs.
- Remove both brake shoes together.
To install, perform the following:
- Apply grease to the adjusting wheel, the threaded and the sliding portions of the adjust screw.
- Apply multi-purpose grease to the backing plate, the anchor block and sliding portions of the wheel cylinder, carefully avoid getting grease onto the lining surfaces.
- Install the shoes, the anti-rattle springs and the return spring.
- Install the drum and adjust the adjuster mechanism.