REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Since these models use a MacPherson type strut with an integral coil spring, refer to the MacPherson Strut removal and installation procedures in this section to remove the strut.
Refer to the Coil Spring removal and installation procedures in the Front Suspension portion of this section to remove the coil spring from the strut.1984-88 Models
- Raise and support the rear of the vehicle on jackstands at each wheel.
- Attach a spring compressor to the coil spring and compress the spring.
- Disconnect the lower end of the shock absorber at the side which the spring is to be removed.
- Raise the vehicle, allowing the suspension arm assembly to swing down.
- Remove the coil spring with the compressor.
- Inspect the coil spring for yield, deformation or cracks; replace it (if necessary). Check the upper and lower spring seat rubbers for wear, cracks or damage; replace them (if necessary).
When installing the shock absorber, check and adjust the final tightening specifications while the vehicle is on the ground.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Tighten the lower shock absorber-to-suspension arm nut/bolt to 43-58 ft. lbs. (59-78 Nm).