REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Because of the design of the vehicle, the 1970-78 Z is the only model equipped with a transverse link.
- Chock the front wheels.
If rear axle removal is necessary, refer to the Rear axle shaft removal and installation procedures in Drive Train of this guide.
- Loosen the rear wheel nuts. Raise and support the rear of the vehicle on jackstands, under the frame.
- Remove the wheel nuts and the wheels.
- Remove the stabilizer bar from the transverse link.
- Separate the transverse link from the strut.
- Position a jack under the differential and raise it.
- Loosen the transverse link inner bolts and damper plate bolts.
- Remove the differential mount front insulator nut.
- Remove the differential mounting front member nuts and the differential front member.
- Remove the transverse link rear mounting bracket and the transverse link.
- Using the Rear Transverse Link Bushing Replacer tool No. ST38800000 or equivalent tool or press which can press bushings in and out, remove the outer bushing from the transverse link.
- Inspect the transverse link for cracks, deformation or damage; replace it, if necessary.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Tighten the transverse link inner bolt to 101-106 ft. lbs. (140-160 Nm), the rear link mounting bracket bolt to 23-31 ft. lbs. (32-43 Nm) and the transverse link outer locknut to 54-69 ft. lbs. (75-95 Nm).