REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Loosen the power steering pump locknut and turn the drive belt adjusting nut counterclockwise.
- Remove the oil pump drive belt.
- Loosen but do not remove the hoses at the pump.
- Remove the pump bolts and the pump from the vehicle.
- Disconnect the hoses from the pump and remove the pump from the vehicle.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Adjust the drive belts. Refill the reservoir and bleed the power steering system.
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle on jackstands.
- Make sure that the oil reservoir is filled to the MAX level.
- With the engine temperature at 140-176°F (60-80°C), quickly turn the wheels (all the way to the wheel stoppers) left and right, ten times.
- Stop the engine and check the fluid level, (if necessary) add fluid.
- Start the engine and repeat Step 3 until all of the air is bled from the pump.
- With the steering wheel fully turned to the left, open the bleeder screw (on top of the power steering gear) to bleed off the air.
If the air cannot be expelled, repeat the bleeding operation while running the engine at 1000-1500 rpm.1982-88 Models
This procedure requires the use of an assistant.
- Raise the vehicle until the front wheels clear the ground.
- While adding fluid in small amounts, have an assistant quickly turn the steering wheel to the right and left, lightly touching the steering stoppers. Repeat this operation until the fluid level no longer decreases.
- Start the engine and repeat Step 2.