REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
- On models 1970-78, depress the horn pad, turn it counterclockwise and remove it. On 1979 and later, ZX models, pull the horn pad off.
- Remove the steering wheel nut.
- Using the Steering Wheel Puller tool No. ST27180001, thread the anchor screws into the holes provided for this purpose in the wheel, then remove the steering wheel.
- Apply grease to all portions which will slide together during installation.
- Place the punch mark on the top of the column shaft and install the wheel in a straight-ahead position.
- Tighten the steering wheel nut to 36-51 ft. lbs. (50-70 Nm) on 1970-76 models; 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm) on 1977-83 models; 36-43 ft. lbs. (49-59 Nm) on 1984 and later models.
- Turn the wheel through the whole range of the steering system and make sure that it does not grab.
- Install the horn pad, reconnect the battery and test the horn.