REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
- On models 1970-78, depress the horn pad, turn it counterclockwise and remove it. On 1979 and later, ZX models, pull the horn pad off.
- Remove the steering wheel nut.
- Using the Steering Wheel Puller tool No. ST27180001, thread the anchor screws into the holes provided for this purpose in the wheel, then remove the steering wheel.
DO NOT hammer on the end of the steering shaft. Striking the shaft will damage the bearing or impair the collapsibility of the column.
- Apply grease to all portions which will slide together during installation.
- Place the punch mark on the top of the column shaft and install the wheel in a straight-ahead position.
- Tighten the steering wheel nut to 36-51 ft. lbs. (50-70 Nm) on 1970-76 models; 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm) on 1977-83 models; 36-43 ft. lbs. (49-59 Nm) on 1984 and later models.
- Turn the wheel through the whole range of the steering system and make sure that it does not grab.
- Install the horn pad, reconnect the battery and test the horn.