REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle on jackstands. Block the rear wheels.
- Remove and discard the cotter pin from the ball joint stud at the steering knuckle arm. Remove the castle nut from the ball joint stud.
- Using the Steering Ball Joint Removal tool No. HT2520000, separate the outer ball joint from the knuckle arm and the inner ball joint from the cross rod.
- Loosen the adjusting sleeve clamp nut on the tie rod side and unscrew the tie rod.
- To install, reverse the removal procedure, tighten the ball joint stud nut (castle nut) to 40-55 ft. lbs. (55-76 Nm) for 1970-78 models or 40-72 ft. lbs. (54-98 Nm) for 1979-88 models; the tie rod-to-steering gear nut to 58-72 ft. lbs. (78-98 Nm). Install a new cotter pin. Tighten the castle nut to align the cotter pin holes but do not loosen it.
- Check and/or adjust the toe-in as necessary.