Removal & Installation
- Make sure that you have the anti-theft codes for the radio and navigation system.
- Drain the power steering fluid.
- Relive the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the battery.
- Remove the grille.
- Remove the battery.
- Remove the intake manifold cover.
- Remove the air cleaner housing and related tubes.
- Remove the air intake duct.
- Remove the battery tray.
- Disconnect the starter cables.
- Disconnect the fuel supply line.
- Tag and disconnect all wires and hoses connected to the engine.
- Remove the driver-s side console lower panel and pull back the carpet.
- Remove the steering joint cover.
- Lock the steering wheel and matchmark the steering shaft joint and the steering gear shaft.
Remove the bolt and disconnect the steering joint from the shaft.
NOTEDo not turn the steering wheel with the joint disconnected.
- Remove the PCM cover.
- Remove the accessory drive belt.
- Disconnect the power steering outlet hose at the pump.
- Remove the power steering reservoir and disconnect the return hose.
- Remove the radiator cap.
- Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the splash shield.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Drain the transmission.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe.
- Disconnect the stabilizer links.
- Disconnect the tie rod ends from the knuckles.
- Disconnect the lower control arms from the knuckles.
- Remove the halfshafts.
- Disconnect the shift cable and remove the control lever.
- Disconnect the power steering hoses from the gear.
- Disconnect the power steering pressure switch.
- Remove the nuts from the transmission lower front and rear mounts.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Disconnect the cooling fan wiring.
- Remove the coolant reservoir.
- Remove the fan and shroud.
- Remove the upper and lower radiator hoses.
- Remove the heater hoses.
- Remove the transmission cooler hoses.
- Remove the radiator.
- Remove the A/C compressor and secure it aside without disconnecting the hoses.
Install engine hanger adapters VSB02C000022 on the engine support beams (A). Then, install the engine support hanger AAR-T-12566 with the adapters.
- Lift and support the engine with the support hanger and the balance bar VSB02C000019. Attach the front arm to the front cylinder head with a spacer (B) and the 10x1.25mm bolt (C). Attach the rear arm to the rear head with the 8x1.25mm bolt (D).
On the J35A6 engine, remove the vacuum hose (A) from the front engine mount stop (B), then remove the front engine mount bolt (C).
On the J35A7 engine, disconnect the front active control engine mount actuator connector (A) and clamp (B), then remove the front engine mount stop (C) and the bolt (D).
- On the J35A6 engine, remove the heat shield and the rear engine mount bolts.
On the J35A7 engine, disconnect the rear ACM connector (A), remove the rear engine mount stop (B) and the rear engine mount bolt (C).
- Raise the vehicle on the hoist.
Matchmark the subframe and body.
- Attach the subframe holding fixture (A) by hanging the belt (B) over the front of the subframe, then secure the belt with the retaining pin (C).
- Raise the jack and install the 4 bolts at the corners.
- Remove the six 12x1.25mm bolts (A) securing the subframe stiffeners (B), the 4 subframe mounting bolts (C) and the stiffeners. Lower the subframe (D).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Attach a chain hoist to the engine hook and the transmission hook. Lift the engine/transmission assembly until it is supported by the hoist, then, remove the engine support hanger and adapters.
- Remove the mounting bolts from the upper half of the side engine mount bracket.
- Check that all hoses, wires and lines are free from the engine.
- Slowly lower the engine/transmission assembly about 6 inches. Check for anything that might hinder removal, then remove the engine/transmission assembly.
- Raise the vehicle and remove the unit.
Install the engine mount brackets and tighten to the torques shown in the accompanying illustration.
Position the engine/transmission under the vehicle. Make sure they are aligned and lower the vehicle until it is properly positioned. Using the hoist, raise the assembly into place.
NOTEInstall the mounting bolts/nuts in the order given in the following steps. Otherwise, noise and vibration will result.
- Install the engine hanger adapters on the end of the support beams. Install the support hanger with adapters.
- Install the support hanger and balance bar to the front and rear heads.
- Install NEW mounting bolts into the upper half of the engine mount bracket. Torque to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
- Remove the chain hoist.
Raise the subframe into position and loosely install all bolts.
- Align all reference marks and tighten the bolts as shown in the accompanying illustration.
- Remove the subframe support tool.
- Install the transmission lower rear mount. Torque to 28 ft. lbs. (38 Nm).
- On the J35A6 engine, tighten the rear engine bolts and heat shield. Torque the mount bolts to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm); torque the heat shield bolts to 43 ft. lbs. (58 Nm).
- On the J35A7 engine, torque the rear engine mount bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm), then torque the rear engine stop nuts to 54 ft. lbs. (73 Nm). Connect the ACM.
- On the J35A6 engine, tighten the front mount bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm), then the front mount stop nuts to 54 ft. lbs. (73 Nm). Connect the vacuum hose.
- On the J35A7 engine, tighten the front engine mount bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm), then tighten the front mount stop nuts to 54 ft. lbs. (73 Nm). Connect the ACM actuator and install the harness clamp.
- Loosen the bolts at the upper half of the side mount and retighten them to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
- Remove the engine support pieces.
- Install the A/C compressor. Torque to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Install the radiator.
The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal. Observe the following torques:
Exhaust pipe-to-manifold: 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm)
- Refill all fluids and check for leaks and proper operation.