Removal & Installation
- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable, then wait at least 3 minutes before proceeding to disable the air bag system.
Remove the steering column as follows:
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the driver-s side dash lower covers and knee bolster.
- Remove the steering column covers.
- If equipped with an automatic transaxle, place the gear selector to N and disconnect the selector cable.
- Remove the combination switches from the steering column.
- Matchmark and disconnect the steering joint in the engine compartment.
- Remove the steering column mounting fasteners.
- Center punch the shear bolt(s).
- Use a 3 / 16 inch (5mm) drill bit to drill out the head(s) of the bolt(s).
- Remove the shear bolt(s).
- Insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the -I- position.
- Press down the lock pin at the service hole in the top of the clamp and remove the lock assembly from the column.
- Install the lock body without the key installed.
- Finger-tighten the new shear bolts.
- Insert the key into the new lock cylinder and check for proper switch operation.
- Tighten the shear bolt(s) until the head(s) can be snapped off.
- Align the steering column and tighten the bolts.
- Plug the harness into the ignition switch.
- Install the steering column covers.
- Install the dashboard panel and knee bolster.
- Enable the air bag system by connecting the negative battery cable.