Removal & Installation
The models covered by this manual are equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS, as described in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable, then wait at least 3 minutes before proceeding to disable the air bag system.
Remove the steering column as follows:
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the driver-s side dash lower covers and knee bolster.
- Remove the steering column covers.
- If equipped with an automatic transaxle, place the gear selector to N and disconnect the selector cable.
- Remove the combination switches from the steering column.
- Matchmark and disconnect the steering joint in the engine compartment.
- Remove the steering column mounting fasteners.
- Center punch the shear bolt(s).
- Use a 3 / 16 inch (5mm) drill bit to drill out the head(s) of the bolt(s).
- Remove the shear bolt(s).
- Insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the -I- position.
- Press down the lock pin at the service hole in the top of the clamp and remove the lock assembly from the column.
- Install the lock body without the key installed.
- Finger-tighten the new shear bolts.
- Insert the key into the new lock cylinder and check for proper switch operation.
- Tighten the shear bolt(s) until the head(s) can be snapped off.
- Align the steering column and tighten the bolts.
- Plug the harness into the ignition switch.
- Install the steering column covers.
- Install the dashboard panel and knee bolster.
- Enable the air bag system by connecting the negative battery cable.