- Disconnect the negative, then the positive battery cables.
- Wait at least 3 minutes before proceeding to disable the air bag system.
Align the front wheels straight ahead, then remove the driver's airbag from the steering wheel, as follows:
- Remove the access panel from the steering wheel, then disconnect the driver's airbag 4P connector from the cable reel.
- Using a Torx® T30 bit, remove the two Torx® bolts.
- Disconnect the horn switch connector (1P), then remove the driver's airbag.
- Disconnect the cable reel sub-harness connector from the cable reel.
- Loosen the steering wheel nut (B) three full turns.
Install a commercially available steering wheel puller (A) on the steering wheel (B). Free the steering wheel from the steering column shaft by turning the pressure bolt (C) of the puller.
WARNINGDo not tap on the steering wheel or the steering column shaft when removing the steering wheel. If you thread the puller bolts (D) into the wheel hub more than five threads, the bolts will hit the cable reel and damage it. To prevent this, install a pair of jam nuts five threads up on each puller bolt.
- Remove the steering wheel puller, then remove the steering wheel nut and steering wheel from the steering column.
- Before installing the steering wheel, make sure the front wheels are aligned straight ahead, then center the cable reel. Do this by first rotating the cable reel clockwise until it stops. Then rotate it counterclockwise about three full turns. The arrow mark on the cable reel label point should point straight up.
Install the steering wheel on to the steering column shaft, making sure the steering wheel hub (A) engages the pins (B) of the cable reel and tabs (C) of the turn signal canceling sleeve (D). Do not tap on the steering wheel or steering column shaft when installing the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel nut and tighten it to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Connect the cable reel sub-harness connector.
Install the driver-s side airbag, as follows:
- Place the driver's airbag in the steering wheel, and secure it with new Torx® bolts. Tighten to 7.2 ft. lbs. (9.8 Nm).
- Connect the cable reel to the driver's airbag 4P connector, then install the access panel on the steering wheel.
- Connect the battery negative cable.
- After installing the airbag, confirm proper system operation:
- Turn the ignition switch ON (II); the SRS indicator should come on for about 6 seconds and then go off.
- Make sure the horn button works.
- Enter the anti-theft codes for the radio and the navigation system, then enter the audio presets.
- Check the cruise control, radio remote, navigation system, and turn signal canceling for proper operation.