Removal & Installation
- Raise the vehicle.
- Disconnect the wheel speed sensor cable connector from the wiring harness on the inside of the frame rail above the front suspension crossmember. The connector has a locking tab which that must be pulled back before the connector release tang can be depressed, releasing the connection.
- If the sensor being removed is a left front, unclip the speed sensor cable from the brake tube on the inside of and under the frame rail.
- Remove the speed sensor cable grommet from the retaining bracket attached to the brake hose on the outside of the frame rail.
Remove the bolt mounting the wheel speed sensor head to the steering knuckle.
CAUTIONWhen removing a wheel speed sensor from the knuckle, do not use pliers on the sensor head. This may damage the sensor head. If the sensor has seized, use a hammer and a punch to tap the edge of the sensor head ear, rocking the sensor side-to-side until free.
- Carefully, remove the sensor head and heat shield from the steering knuckle.
Remove the screw securing the wheel speed sensor to the rear of the strut. Remove the wheel speed sensor.
Failure to install speed sensor cables properly may result in contact with moving parts or an over extension of cables causing an open circuit. Be sure that cables are installed, routed, and clipped properly.
- Attach the wheel speed sensor to the strut using the its mounting screw.
- Install the wheel speed sensor head in the steering knuckle. Install the mounting bolt. Tighten the mounting bolt to a torque of 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- From the sensor bracket on the strut, loop the sensor cable upward, then downward at the outside of the frame rail. Install the speed sensor cable grommet onto the retaining bracket attached to the brake hose on the outside of the frame rail.
- Loop the wheel speed sensor cable around the bottom of the frame rail and connect it to the wiring harness connector on the inside of the frame rail (. Remember to push in the locking tab on the connector.
- If the sensor being installed is the left front, clip the speed sensor