Description & Operation
The Input Speed Sensor is a two-wire magnetic pickup device that generates AC signals as rotation occurs. It is threaded into the transaxle case, sealed with an O-ring, and is considered a primary input to the Powertrain/Transmission Control Module.
The Input Speed Sensor provides information on how fast the input shaft is rotating. As the teeth of the input clutch hub pass by the sensor coil, an AC voltage is generated and sent to the PCM/TCM. The PCM/TCM interprets this information as input shaft rpm.
The PCM/TCM compares the input speed signal with output speed signal to determine the following:
The PCM/TCM also compares the input speed signal and the engine speed signal to determine the following:
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the battery cables.
- Remove air cleaner assembly.
- Remove the battery hold down clamp and remove the battery.
- Remove the battery tray.
- Disconnect input speed sensor connector.
- Unscrew and remove input speed sensor.
- Inspect speed sensor O-ring and replace if necessary.
- Verify O-ring is installed into position.
- Install and tighten input speed sensor to 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.).
- Connect speed sensor connector.
- Install the battery tray.
- Install the battery and hold down clamp.
- Install air cleaner assembly.
Connect battery cables.