Description & Operation
The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is a pulse generator mounted to an adapter near the transmission output shaft. The sensor is driven through the adapter by a speedometer pinion gear. The VSS pulse signal to the speedometer/odometer is monitored by the PCM speed control circuitry to determine vehicle speed and to maintain speed control set speed.
Removal & Installation
- Raise vehicle on hoist.
Disconnect the speed sensor connector.
WARNINGClean area around speed sensor before removing to prevent dirt from entering the transaxle during speed sensor Removal & Installation.
- Remove speed sensor retaining bolt.
Remove speed sensor from transaxle.
WARNINGCarefully remove vehicle speed sensor so sensor drive gear does not fall into transaxle. Should it fall into the transaxle during sensor Removal & Installation, drive gear must be reattached to sensor.
- Remove speed sensor drive gear from speed sensor.
- Install pinion gear to speed sensor.
- Using a NEW O-ring, install the speed sensor to the transaxle.
- Install the bolt and torque to 7 Nm (60 inch lbs.).
- Connect speed sensor connector.
Lower vehicle and road test to verify proper speedometer operation.