Accessory Belt Routing
Inspect the drive belt for signs of glazing or cracking. A glazed belt will be perfectly smooth from slippage, while a good belt will have a slight texture of fabric visible. Cracks will usually start at the inner edge of the belt and run outward. All worn or damaged drive belts should be replaced immediately.
Removal & Installation
- Remove power steering pump/air conditioning compressor drive belt.
- Loosen pivot bolt, then locking nut and adjusting bolt.
- Remove generator belt.
- Install belt and/or adjust belt tension by tightening adjusting bolt. Adjust belt to specification shown in Belt Tension Chart.
Check belt tension using Special Tool 8371 - Belt Tension Gauge Adapter, and the DRBIII® using the following procedures:
CAUTIONDo not check belt tension with the engine running.
- Connect 8371 to the DRBIII® following the instructions provided in tool kit.
- Place end of microphone probe approximately 1 in. (2.54cm) from belt at one of the belt center span locations shown in.
- Pluck the belt a minimum of 3 times. (Use your finger or other suitable object)
- The frequency of the belt in hertz (Hz) will display on DRBIII® screen.
- Adjust belt to obtain proper frequency (tension). Refer to the belt tension chart for specifications.
- Tighten pivot bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm) and locking nut to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm). Install power steering pump/air conditioning compressor drive belt.
- Remove belt splash shield.
- Using a wrench, rotate belt tensioner clockwise until belt can be removed from power steering pump pulley. Gently, release spring tension on tensioner.
- Remove belt.
- Install belt over all pulleys except for the power steering pump pulley.
- Using a wrench, rotate belt tensioner clockwise until belt can be installed onto power steering pump pulley. Release spring tension onto belt.
- After belt is installed, inspect belt length indicator marks. The indicator mark should be within the minimum belt length and maximum belt length marks. On a new belt, the indicator mark should align approximately with the nominal belt length mark.
- Install belt splash shield .