Removal & Installation
- Drain engine oil.
- Remove the oil pan and pick-up tube.
- If replacing crankshaft sprocket, remove oil pump.
- Remove chain cover, guide and tensioner. Discard pivot screw and adjuster screw.
- Remove screw retaining balance shaft drive sprocket. Remove chain and sprocket.
- Using two wide pry bars, work the crankshaft sprocket back and forth until it is off the crankshaft.
- Remove gear cover retaining stud (double ended to also retain chain guide). Remove cover and balance shaft gears.
- Remove rear cover and balance shafts.
Remove four carrier to crankcase attaching bolts to separate carrier from engine bedplate.
- Balance shaft and carrier assembly installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. During installation crankshaft-to-balance shaft timing must be established. Refer to Timing procedure in this section.
- With balance shafts installed in carrier position carrier on crankcase and install four attaching bolts and tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).