Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Remove the A/C refrigerant using approved equipment. Refer to the Heating & Air Conditioning Section.
Remove or disconnect the following to remove the upper timing cover:
Negative battery cable
Remove or disconnect the following to remove the lower timing cover:
Right front wheel and inner splash shield
- Rotate the crankshaft until the Top Dead Center (TDC) mark on the oil pump housing aligns with the TDC mark on the crankshaft sprocket.
- Loosen the belt tensioner lock bolt.
- Install an 6mm Allen wrench into the tensioner. Rotate the tensioner counterclockwise while pushing on the wrench until it slides into the locking hole.
Remove the timing belt.
- Set the crankshaft sprocket at TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.
- Set the camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1 / 2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket.
- Install the timing belt by starting at the crankshaft. Go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and the tensioner.
- Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise to align the marks and to remove any slack.
- Insert a 6mm Allen wrench into the tensioner opening on the top plate of the tensioner pulley. Rotate the top plate counterclockwise. The pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch will start to move clockwise. Continue to move the top plate counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang. Using the Allen wrench, to prevent the top plate from moving, tighten the tensioner lock bolt to 220 inch lbs. (25 Nm). Make sure the setting notch and spring tang are still aligned after the lock nut is tighten. If not repeat the procedure.
Remove the wrench from the belt tensioner.
NOTEWhen repositioning the crankshaft to the TDC position, this must be done during the clockwise rotation movement. If the TDC is missed, rotate a further two full turns until TDC is reached. Do not rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise as this will result in improper tensioner settings.
- Rotate the crankshaft two full revolutions and verify that the TDC marks are properly aligned.
- Check the spring tang is within the tolerance window, if not repeat the previous two steps.
Install or connect the following:
Lower timing belt cover and torque the bolts to 50 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- Recharge the A/C system.
- Perform the camshaft/crankshaft synchronization procedure.