Road Test Verification - Code Faults
Prior to proceeding with Road Test Verification for an OBD II system related trouble code, you should perform a complete visual inspection (as above).
Road Test Verification - No Code Faults
Prior to proceeding with Road Test Verification for Non-OBD II codes, inspect the vehicle to ensure that all engine components are properly connected. Reassemble and connect all components as needed.
If the Road Test Verification procedure is for a No Code Fault, refer to the OBD II Drive Cycle article in this section.
For trouble codes that are not OBD II related, continue with this Road Test Verification step. For previously read codes that have not been repaired, refer to the correct code repair test and perform the repair test steps.For No Code Faults
To locate the cause of a No Code Fault or a Driveability Symptom, do the following test steps:
- Check to see if the initial symptom is still present.
- f the initial symptom or another symptom is present, the repair is not completed.
- Check all pertinent technical service bulletins for corrective actions that fit the symptom. Then refer to the DaimlerChrysler No Code Test menu in other repair manuals or electronic media for a list of tests to run on non-monitored devices and their related circuits (i.e., secondary ignition, engine timing, etc.).
If the PCM has not been changed, do the following steps:
- Connect a scan tool, read, record and erase all codes.
- Use the scan tool to reset all values in the adaptive memory.
Drive the vehicle for at least 5 minutes with the A/C on.
- During the drive cycle, go at least 40 mph and at some point, stop the vehicle and turn off the engine for 10 seconds or more.
- Then, restart the engine and drive the vehicle while shifting through all gears.
- Return to the service bay and verify that no codes are stored.
If the PCM has been changed, and the vehicle is equipped with factory theft alarm, perform the following:
- Start the vehicle 20 times to activate the alarm.
- Connect the scan tool, read, record and erase all trouble codes.
- Start the engine, then raise and hold the engine speed at 2000 rpm for 30 seconds.
- Return to idle speed, turn the engine off, then turn the key on and read the Charging System trouble codes.
Verify that all engine components have been reconnected and installed properly. If this has not been done, reassemble or reconnect all components as needed. Check the oil level and coolant level. If this Road Test Verification procedure is for an OBD II System code, refer to OBD II DRIVE CYCLE in this section as needed. For previously read codes that have not been repaired, refer to the correct code repair chart and perform the repair test steps before continuing.