The automatic adjusting feature of this parking brake contains a clockspring loaded to approximately 19 lbs. Do not release the automatic adjuster lockout device unless the rear parking brake cables and equalizer are connected to the lever output cable. Keep hands out of the automatic adjuster sector and pawl area. Failure to observe caution in handling this mechanism could lead to serious injury.
When repairs to the parking brake lever or cables are required, the automatic adjuster must be loaded and locked out to avoid possible injury.
Locking Automatic Adjuster Out
- Block the tire and wheels so the vehicle does not move once the vehicle parking brake lever is released.
- Remove the transmission shift knob as necessary.
- Place parking brake lever in released (full OFF) position.
- Remove the screws attaching the center console.
- Remove rear window switch panel from the console.
- Working through switch opening, grasp a parking brake cable or equalizer and pull back approximately 1 inch (25.4mm)
- While holding the cable or equalizer, pull the parking brake handle to it's full upright position.
- Remove center console.
- Grasp the parking brake lever output cable by hand and pull upward. Continue pulling cable until an appropriate pin punch (drill bit or locking pin) can be inserted sufficiently through hole in left side of the lever mounting bracket. This will lock the parking brake automatic adjustment mechanism in place and take tension off the parking brake cables. Slowly release the output cable. There should now be slack in the cables.
- Be sure the rear parking brake cables are both properly installed in the equalizer.
- Raise parking brake handle to the full upright position.
- Keeping your hands clear of the automatic adjuster sector and pawl area, firmly grasp the parking brake lever pin punch (drill bit or locking pin if a new mechanism has been installed), then quickly remove it from the parking brake lever mechanism. This will allow the park brake lever mechanism to automatically adjust the parking brake cables.
- Install the center console and its mounting screws.
- Cycle the parking brake lever once to position the parking brake cables, then return the parking brake lever to its released (full OFF) position.
- Check the rear wheels of the vehicle. They should rotate freely without dragging with the lever in its released (full OFF) position.
- Install rear window switch panel.
- Remove the blocks from the tire and wheels.