Removal & Installation
- Remove front bumper and grill assembly.
- Remove 1 support bolt near front of reservoir.
- Remove 2 reservoir mounting bolts.
- Remove reservoir from vehicle to gain access to vacuum hose. Disconnect vacuum hose from reservoir fitting at rear of reservoir.
- Disconnect electrical connector at relay.
- Remove 2 relay mounting bolts and remove relay.
- Position relay to body and install 2 bolts. Tighten bolts to 25 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- Connect electrical connector to relay.
- Connect vacuum hose to reservoir.
- Install reservoir and tighten 2 bolts to 25 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- Install front bumper and grill assembly.
- Turn the ignition OFF .
- Remove the relay.
Locate the 2 terminals on the relay, which are connected to the coil windings. Check the relay coil for continuity. Connect the common meter lead to terminal 85 and positive meter lead to terminal 86. There should be continuity. If not, replace the relay.
Check the operation of the internal relay contacts.
- Connect the meter leads to terminals 30 and 87. Meter polarity does not matter for this step.
- Apply positive battery voltage to terminal 86 and ground to terminal 85. The relay should click as the contacts are drawn toward the coil and the meter should indicate continuity. Replace the relay if your results are different.
If the relay functions properly during this test, inspect the coolant temperature sensor and the cooling fan system wiring for defects.