Removal & Installation
After all components are installed on the engine, a DRBIII® scan tool is necessary to perform the camshaft and crankshaft timing relearn procedure.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Properly recover the air conditioning system refrigerant.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Drain the engine oil.
Remove or disconnect the following:
The battery and battery tray
- Raise the vehicle enough to allow an engine dolly and cradle to be placed under the engine.
- Loosen the engine support posts in order to allow movement for positioning onto the engine locating holes and flange on the engine bedplate. Lower the vehicle and position the cradle until the engine is resting on the support posts. Tighten the mounts to the cradle frame. This will keep the support posts from moving when removing or installing the engine and transaxle.
- Install safety straps around the engine to the cradle; tighten the straps and lock them into position.
- Raise the vehicle enough to see if the straps are tight enough to hold the cradle assembly to the engine.
- Lower the vehicle so the weight of the engine and transaxle ONLY is on the cradle.
- Remove the engine and transaxle mount through-bolts.
Raise the vehicle slowly, it might be necessary to move the engine/transaxle assembly with the cradle to allow removal around the body flanges.
- Install the engine/transaxle assembly by lowering the vehicle over the assembly.
- Install the engine and transaxle mounts and torque the bolts to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm).
- Install the upper torque strut.
- Remove the support fixtures.
- Install the alternator and support brackets.
- Install the halfshafts.
Install the structural collar and torque the bolts, in 3 steps, using the following procedure:
- Step 1: Collar-to-oil pan bolts to 30 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- Step 2: Collar-to-transaxle bolts to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
- Step 3: Collar-to-oil pan bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
Install or connect the following:
The upper and lower heat shields, elbow support bracket, turbocharger support brace and elbow, if equipped with a turbocharger
- Perform the camshaft and crankshaft synchronization procedure.
- Fill the engine with clean oil.
- Fill the cooling system.
- Recharge the A/C system.
After all components are installed, perform the camshaft and crankshaft timing relearn procedure as follows:
- Connect a DRBIII®or equivalent, scan tool to the DLC (located under the instrument panel, near the steering column).
- Turn the ignition switch ON , and access the -miscellaneous- screen.
- Select -re-learn cam/crank- option and follow the directions on the scan tool screen.
- Start the vehicle and check for leaks, repair if necessary.