- Inspect the mating surface of the oil pump. Surface should be smooth. Replace pump cover if scratched or grooved.
- Lay a straightedge across the pump cover surface. If a 0.001 inches (0.025mm) feeler gauge can be inserted between cover and straight edge, cover should be replaced.
- Measure thickness and diameter of outer rotor. If outer rotor thickness measures 0.421 inches (10.699mm) or less, or if the diameter is 3.383 inches (85.924mm) or less, replace outer rotor.
- If inner rotor measures 0.421 inches (10.699mm) or less replace inner rotor.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Drain the engine oil.
Remove or disconnect the following:
The negative battery cable
Wash all parts in a solvent; then, inspect carefully for damage or wear, as follows:
- Inspect the mating surface of the oil pump should be smooth. Replace the pump cover, if scratched or grooved.
- Apply MOPAR® gasket maker to the oil pump.
- Install the O-ring into the oil pump body discharge passage.
Prime the oil pump before installation by filling the rotor cavity with engine oil.
Install or connect the following:
WARNINGThe front crankshaft seal MUST be out of the pump to align or damage may result.
The oil pump, align the rotor flats with the crankshaft flats and torque the bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
The new front crankshaft seal, using Seal Driver Tool 6780
- Fill the engine with clean oil.
- Start the engine and check for leaks; repair if necessary.