- Before proceeding, verify the parking brake lever is in the released position.
- Raise the vehicle.
- Remove the rubber plug from the adjusting hole in the disc brake caliper adapter.
Adjust the parking brakes. Use the first bullet point for the adjustment of the left side parking brake shoes. Use the second bullet point for the adjustment of the right side parking brake shoes.
Insert a medium size screwdriver through adjustment hole in the left backing plate. Position the screwdriver against the star wheel on the parking brake shoe adjuster. Using the screwdriver, rotate the star wheel downward until a slight drag is noticed when turning the rear tire and wheel assembly. Then, using the screwdriver, slowly rotate the star wheel upward, backing off the adjuster, just enough to allow the rear tire and wheel assembly to rotate without the parking brake shoes dragging. Do not back off the adjuster star wheel more than 2 clicks past the point of no drag. The parking brake shoe-to-drum clearance is now properly set.
- Install the rubber plug in the adjusting holes of the disc brake caliper adapter.
- Lower the vehicle until the rear tires are just clearing the floor.
- Reach inside the vehicle and fully apply and release the park brakes 2 times after adjusting the parking brake shoes.
- With the parking brake lever in the fully applied position, attempt to hand rotate each rear tire and wheel assembly to ensure that the parking brake shoes are working.
- With the parking brake lever in the released position, hand rotate each rear tire and wheel assembly to ensure that the parking brake shoes are not dragging.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the rear disc brake caliper assembly from the brake rotor and store it out of the way.
- Remove rear brake rotor.
- Remove the dust cap from the rear hub and bearing.
- Remove the rear hub and bearing assembly retaining nut and washer.
- Remove the rear hub and bearing assembly from the rear spindle.
- Remove the rear brake shoe assembly hold-down clip.
- Turn the brake shoe adjuster wheel until the adjuster is at shortest length.
- Remove the adjuster assembly from the parking brake shoe assemblies.
- Remove the lower shoe-to-shoe spring.
- Pull the rear brake shoe away from anchor. Remove the rear brake shoe and upper return spring.
- Remove the front brake shoe hold-down clip. Remove the front brake shoe assembly.
- Install the front brake shoe and secure it in place with a hold-down clip.
- Install the rear brake shoe and the upper shoe return spring. Pull the rear brake shoe over the anchor block until it is properly located on the adapter.
- Install the lower shoe-to-shoe return spring.
- Install the brake shoe adjuster assembly with the star wheel towards the rear.
- Install the rear brake shoe hold down clip.
- Adjust the parking brake shoes to a diameter of 6.75 inches (171mm).
- Install the rear hub and bearing assembly on spindle.
- Install a new hub and bearing assembly retaining nut. Tighten the retaining nut to a torque of 160 ft. lbs. (217 Nm).
- Install the hub and bearing dust cap.
- Install the rear brake rotor.
- Install rear disc brake caliper.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly. Tighten the wheel mounting nuts to a torque of 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm).
- Adjust the parking brake shoes as necessary.
- Lower the vehicle.