- Verify the parking brake lever is in the fully released position.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the brake drum.
- Using a brake shoe gauge, Special Tool C-3919 or equivalent, measure the inside diameter of the brake drum. Tighten the gauge set-screw at this measurement.
- Place the other side of the brake shoe gauge on the brake shoes as shown.
- Adjust the shoe diameter to the setting on the gauge. To adjust the shoe diameter, turn the adjuster-screw star-wheel using a screwdriver inserted through the adjusting hole in the rear of the shoe support plate. Once the tip of the screwdriver contacts the star-wheel teeth, move the handle of tool downward using the support plate as a pivot to adjust the shoes outward.
- Once the shoe diameter is set, reinstall the brake drum.
- Turn the drum. A slight drag should be felt while rotating the drum.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly. Tighten the wheel mounting nuts to a torque of 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm).
- After adjusting both rear drum brakes, lower the vehicle.
- Apply and release the parking brake lever one time after the adjustment process is completed so the parking brakes can readjust themselves to the new brake shoe adjustment.
- Road test vehicle stopping in both forward and reverse directions. Automatic-adjuster will continue to adjust brakes as necessary during road test.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
The rear wheels
- Thoroughly clean and dry the backing plate. To prepare the backing plate, lubricate the bosses, anchor pin and parking brake actuating lever pivot surface lightly with lithium based grease.
- Remove, clean and dry all brake components. Lubricate the starwheel shaft threads with anti-seize lubricant and transfer all parts to their proper locations on the new shoes.
Install or connect the following:
The lower spring
- Adjust the starwheel.
- Remove any grease from the linings and install the drum.
- Install the wheels and properly adjust the brakes.
- Check for proper brake system operation.