- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Adjust the steering wheel so that the tires are in the STRAIGHT-AHEAD position.
- Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
- Remove the driver airbag.
While holding the steering wheel firmly in place, remove the retaining bolt securing the steering wheel to the steering column shaft.
CAUTIONWhen installing a wheel puller on the steering wheel, be sure the puller bolts are fully seated in the threaded holes on the steering wheel. If the bolts are not fully seated in the threaded holes, the threads may be stripped out of the steering wheel when attempting to remove the steering wheel. Take care not to over-thread the puller bolts such that they contact the clockspring possibly damaging it.
- Also, threading the retaining bolt back in the end of the shaft until approximately 0.5 inch (13mm) of thread is showing between the wheel and the head of the bolt allows a safe reaction surface for the puller to work against.
Thread the wheel retaining bolt back into the end of the shaft until approximately 13mm (0.5 in.) of thread is showing between the wheel and the head of the bolt. Install a steering wheel puller on the steering wheel.
CAUTIONDo not bump or hammer on steering wheel or steering column shaft when removing steering wheel from steering column.
- While holding the steering wheel firmly in the straight ahead position, remove steering wheel from the steering column shaft using the puller.
Remove the wheel retaining bolt and the steering wheel. Take care to feed the wires gently through the holes in the steering wheel.
WARNINGDo not install the steering wheel onto the shaft of the steering column by driving it onto the shaft.
The front wheels are in the straight ahead position
- Feed the clockspring wiring leads through the hole in the steering wheel. Align the steering wheel wide mounting spline with the steering column shaft missing spline area and push the wheel onto the shaft. Make sure the clockspring lines up with the back of the wheel and does not bind.
- Install the steering wheel retaining bolt and tighten it until the steering wheel is fully installed on shaft. Tighten the steering wheel retaining bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Install the driver airbag.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Verify vehicle and system operation.