Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTECover the lower intake manifold during service.
Negative battery cable
Inspect the rocker arms for wear or damage. Inspect the roller for scuffing or wear. Replace assembly as necessary.
WARNINGDo not remove the lash adjusters from the rocker arm assembly. The rocker arm and the adjuster are serviced as an assembly.
Identify the rocker arm assemblies and rocker arms and disassemble the shaft as follows:
- Thread a nut, washer and spacer onto a 4mm screw.
- Insert and tighten the 4mm screw into the dowel pin on the shaft.
- Loosen the nut on the screw. This will pull the dowel pin from the shaft support.
- Remove the rocker arms and pedestals, keeping them in order.
Check the oil holes for restrictions with a small wire and clean as required.
Assemble the rocker shaft as follows:
- Install the rocker arms and pedestals onto the shaft, keeping them in the original order.
- Press the dowel pins into the pedestals until they bottom out in the pedestals.
- Position the camshaft so that the timing mark on the right camshaft timing belt sprocket aligns with the timing mark on the rear timing belt cover and the timing mark on the left sprocket is 45 degrees from the mark on the rear timing belt cover. There will be no load on the shaft during installation. Install the rocker shafts so the identification marks are facing toward the front of the engine.
Install the oil feed bolt in the correct location on the rocker shaft retainer. Torque the bolts in proper sequence to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
Install or connect the following:
Valve covers and torque the bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm)