Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
NOTEService of the coil spring requires the use of a coil spring compressor tool. It is required that 5 coils be captured within the jaws of the compressor tool.
NOTEDo not support the vehicle by placing supports under the suspension arms. The suspension arms must hang freely.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEWhen removing the nut from the stud of the stabilizer bar link, do not allow the stud to rotate in the socket by holding with an open ended wrench.
WARNINGThe steering knuckle-to-strut assembly bolts are serrated and must not be turned during installation.
Negative battery cable
Strut-to-steering knuckle bolts and nuts
- If removing the left strut assembly, unfasten the nuts attaching the coolant recovery bottle and position the bottle and hoses aside.
- Remove the 3 strut assembly upper mount-to-shock tower mounting nuts and washers. Remove the strut from the vehicle.
Disassemble the strut by performing the following procedure:
- Securely mount the strut assembly into a vise. Using paint, mark the strut unit, lower spring isolator, spring and upper strut mount for indexing of the parts at assembly.
- Position the spring compressor tool onto the strut. Compress the coil spring until all load is off the upper strut mount assembly.
- Install Strut Rod Socket tool 6864 on the strut shaft nut and a 10mm socket on the end of the strut shaft to prevent it from turning. Remove the strut shaft nut.
- Remove the upper mount assembly, jounce bumper and seat bearing and dust shield as an assembly.
- Remove the coil spring and compressor as an assembly from the strut. Remove the lower spring isolator from the strut assembly lower spring seat.
Inspect all components for abnormal wear, oil leakage or failure. Replace parts as required.
Assemble the strut by performing the following procedure:
- Inspect the strut assembly for signs of leakage. Actual leakage will be a stream of fluid running down the side and dripping off the lower end of the strut. A slight amount of seepage between the strut rod and strut shaft seal is not unusual and does not affect performance of the strut assembly.
- Install the lower spring isolator on the strut unit. Install the compressed coil spring onto the strut assembly aligning the paint marks made during removal.
- Install the strut bearing into the bearing seat. The bearing must be installed into the seat with the notches on the bearings facing down.
- Lower the seat bearing and dust shield onto the strut and spring assembly. Align the paint marks made during removal.
- Install the jounce bumper and upper mount on the strut shaft, aligning the paint marks.
- Install the strut mount-to-shaft retainer nut. Inspect all alignment marks made during removal and align as required. While holding the strut shaft from turning with a 10mm socket, torque the strut shaft nut to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm).
- Equally loosen the spring compressor tool until all tension is released. Remove the spring compressor tool.
- Install the front strut into the strut tower. Torque the 3 upper nuts to 250 inch lbs. (28 Nm).
If installing the left strut assembly, position the coolant recovery bottle and hoses. Fasten the bottle retainers.
WARNINGThe steering knuckle-to-strut assembly bolts are serrated and must not be turned during installation.. Also if the vehicle is equipped with eccentric strut assembly bolts, the eccentric bolt must be installed in the bottom (slotted) hole on the strut bract.
NOTEThe strut-to-steering are installed differently on each side. The left hand side bolts are installed from the vehicle rear to front and the right side bolts are installed from the vehicle front to rear.
Position the steering knuckle neck into the strut assembly. Install the strut assembly-to-steering knuckle bolts. Install the nuts onto the attaching bolts and torque to 60 ft. lbs. (81 Nm), then tighten an additional
or 90 degrees turn.
NOTEWhen installing the nut to the stud of the stabilizer bar link, do not allow the stud to rotate in the socket by holding with an open ended wrench.
Install or connect the following:
Stabilizer bar attaching link to the strut assembly, hand thread the nut then tighten to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm) using an open ended wrench on the machine surfaced to prevent from turning.
- Align the vehicle.